The original title to this relatively short piece is “Legends of Indian History in St. Clair County,” published in Volume 6 (1883) of the Collections of the Pioneer Society of the State of Michigan (Lansing, reprinted in 1907), pages 416-418. It’s not really about “legends,” however, but of eyewitness accounts of events in the 1700s and 1800s; maybe that word was chosen because of perceived exaggerations? After the verbatim text from the 1883 article, a related excerpt from Andreas 1883 (History of St. Clair County, Michigan) is also provided.
By Hon. William T. Mitchell
Read at the annual meeting of the State Society, June 13, 1883
When the French explorers first came to the upper lakes, they found the lake country from Mackinac to Lapointe and the northern part of the lower peninsula, occupied by the Chippewas, or as the French named them, the Ojibeway Indians; a part of the great Algonquin family, then one of the most powerful Indian nations of North America. Continue reading →
For reference purposes, the following word-for-word histories of Fort Gratiot Township and Port Huron Township (including Marysville) are provided here. From the Combination Atlas Map of St. Clair County Michigan . . . by Everts & Stewart, Philadelphia, 1876, pages XVII and XVIII.
Fort Gratiot Township was organized as a township in the year 1866, with H. Stevens as the first Supervisor. It is situated in the eastern part of the County, at the foot of Lake Huron. It is a fractional township, and is designated Town 7 north, Range 17 east; it is bounded on the north by Burtchville, east by Lake Huron and St. Clair River, south by the city of Port Huron and Port Huron Township, and west by Clyde Township. The surface of the country is mostly level, with some marsh land, and was originally timbered with pine and hemlock. The soil is of a sandy nature, producing wheat, oats, hay, potatoes, and corn. It is traversed by the Black River in the southwestern part. T. Lymburner is the present Supervisor; and the population numbers one thousand three hundred and sixty-one. Continue reading →
For reference purposes, the following word-for-word history of Port Huron (city) is provided here. From the Combination Atlas Map of St. Clair County Michigan . . . by Everts & Stewart, Philadelphia, 1876, page XVIII.
In the year 1819, when the Hon. D. B. Harrington came to this place to make it his abiding place, nothing but a vast wilderness met the eye on every side. The Chippewa tribe of Indians were the occupants of this region; and during the fishing and hunting season they congregated at the mouth of the Black River in large numbers; and their huts and wigwams dotted the shores for a long distance north and south. There were at this time a few French families scattered around, whose names are mentioned in the early history of the County, and who at times were seriously annoyed by the Indians. The propensity to steal was largely developed among them. Continue reading →