Mrs. Peep and her children, strolling along Military Street in 1908. Unbeknownst to her, time lord Dr. Who is right behind her. What disaster could this portend?! (V. Priest, 2019)
PEEPS IN (local) HISTORY CONTEST!
Take photos of peeps (any type) at or in an area historic property or with a historic photo (the photo above is an example). Photos can be a close-up of a nice detail; don’t be afraid to get creative, and certainly have fun! Filtered, modified, and “photoshopped” images are also welcome! The included property doesn’t have to be a “landmark,” but can even be your own home–just as long as it’s at least 50 years old. Creativity is the top consideration, not quality (you don’t have to be a professional photographer!). The image above is a regular photo that has had filters applied to it (using ipiccy.com, but there are other free photo editing applications out there too). Photos taken with phones are of course acceptable. Rules and submission policy are below.
Deadline is April 13, 2019. Photos will be posted at PHAHPA.ORG at that time, and comments accepted. We will consider comments when judging the entries. Winners will be announced on April 20th.
Where the photos can be from: Port Huron, Port Huron Township, Fort Gratiot Township, or Marysville
Prizes (4): 1st Place, Enter Stage Right gift certificate for 2 tickets to a production + refreshments, plus a PHAHPA 16 GB flash drive; 2nd Place, Enter Stage Right gift certificate for 2 tickets to a production + refreshments; 3rd Place, $20 gift certificate to Kate’s Downtown coffee restaurant, and; Honorable Mention, $10 gift certificate to Port Huron’s downtown vinyl record store, State Perceptory.
Please support our kind sponsors, representing the local arts and downtown businesses!
Check out Enter Stage Right and their upcoming plays! 609 Huron Avenue, Port Huron.
Caffeine comes in great packages at Kate’s Downtown. Give them a try next time you’re in the heart of Port Huron.
Visit State Perceptory for vinyl records and more in downtown Port Huron (219 Huron Ave., open 10 am to 7 pm Mon-Sat).
- Photos can be any size–large file sizes may be reduced when we post them to our website. They can be “as is” or filtered, or even photoshopped (modified peeps photo inserted in, or layered onto, another photo, for example).
- Photos must be the submittor’s original work. By submitting a photo to this contest you are attesting to its originality. Photos must not have been used in any previous contest. Your name will be posted with the photo.
- You MUST provide information about the location and age of the property in the photo. If you do not know the exact age, say so, but provide other information as to why you think it meets the rule of “50+” years. Remember that the properties must be in either Port Huron, Port Huron Township, Marysville, or Fort Gratiot Township; these are currently the areas PHAHPA specifically serves. (Maybe next year we will have expanded our service area before the next contest.)
- If you want to submit a caption along with the photo, please do. You can have fun with the caption like we did in our sample. We reserve the right to edit the caption.
- One submission per person only.
- By submitting an entry you are agreeing that PHAHPA can post it at its website and use it at other social media places it utilizes, and that PHAHPA may also print it with marketing and informational materials if it ever deems that would be useful. You would retain full copyright otherwise.
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Peeps Contest. Provide your name and another way to contact you (besides email) if you desire. If you are a winner we will contact you to ask the best way to get the prize to you.
- Have fun 🙂 (questions? write to email@example.com)
- We know, but just so you know, PHAHPA board members (the only volunteers associated with PHAHPA at this time; there are no employees) are not allowed to submit entries to the contest.
Peepzilla at Palm’s Krystal Bar & Grill (Chicken in the Rough), Port Huron. Vicki Priest and Zakery Stiegemeyer photo.
Peepzilla attacking Chicken in the Rough poster. Zakery Stiegemeyer and Vicki Priest image.