For reference purposes, the following word-for-word histories of Fort Gratiot Township and Port Huron Township (including Marysville) are provided here. From the Combination Atlas Map of St. Clair County Michigan . . . by Everts & Stewart, Philadelphia, 1876, pages XVII and XVIII.
Fort Gratiot Township was organized as a township in the year 1866, with H. Stevens as the first Supervisor. It is situated in the eastern part of the County, at the foot of Lake Huron. It is a fractional township, and is designated Town 7 north, Range 17 east; it is bounded on the north by Burtchville, east by Lake Huron and St. Clair River, south by the city of Port Huron and Port Huron Township, and west by Clyde Township. The surface of the country is mostly level, with some marsh land, and was originally timbered with pine and hemlock. The soil is of a sandy nature, producing wheat, oats, hay, potatoes, and corn. It is traversed by the Black River in the southwestern part. T. Lymburner is the present Supervisor; and the population numbers one thousand three hundred and sixty-one. Continue reading