“Unrecognized Properties” showcases the buildings (and perhaps other types of historical assets) in the Port Huron area that have not been recorded or officially recognized. If you don’t see a property listed here that you think should be, please contact us about it using the contact form below! No home is too small (in other words, don’t think that the large ornate houses of the wealthy have a monopoly on historical significance).
Port Huron was a large, active city historically in Michigan. Unfortunately, many of its more significant buildings have been destroyed. Because Port Huron does not have a historic resources list, aside from those structures found in two historic districts, many still extant and notable buildings have not been recorded or recognized in any way. So, as might be imagined, this section could be quite large. As we discover and/or photograph such buildings, they will be included here.
520 Griswold (at Sixth). Endlich, in her 1981 book about historic Port Huron, writes that this home was built ca. 1840 by H.L. Stevens, and that it originally stood at Military and Chestnut. It was moved to its present location and the grand stone house that is still extant, the Dr. Mortimer Willson home, was built in its place.
607 Huron Avenue, The Citadel. Built in 1901, architect unknown. This structure is “believed to have been the first building constructed for the express use of the Salvation Army” and was used by the local organization until 1966 (AIA Detroit Chapter). It had been used for retail and offices until The Citadel Stage and Enter Stage Right have made it their new home and rehabilitated it.
1115 Sixth Street. A Carnegie Library that is now the Port Huron Museum. Built in 1904, it was designed by Patton and Miller of Chicago, and George L. Harvey, Port Huron. It is in the Beaux-Arts style with an exterior of Indiana limestone. It is well preserved, although it did suffer a fire in 1987 and has a back addition from 1988 (AIA Detroit Chapter). This significant structure is within the downtown historic district, but amazingly, has no designations of its own.
1013 Huron Avenue.
Another Second Empire style home at 1005 Huron Avenue (next door to the 1013 home above). Note the curved window on the first floor’s left side. An undated black and white photo of this home in Burnell and Marcaccio (p 66) shows the same window configuration. According to the same source, it was built in the late 1890s by N.S. Boynton, the namesake of Boynton Beach, Florida. It was purchased by the Meno family in the 1940s, who still lived in it in the 1980s.
Pere Marquette Railroad Station at what is now Desmond Landing. The building has been modernized, but is still much like its original ca. 1912 self. This depot might not seem particularly significant because of the changes made to it, but it’s still locally notable for being one of the few depots still standing (Port Huron had many, and a number of round houses, too).
2333-2339 Gratiot Avenue, Port Huron. This two-story brick commercial building, with “1882” etched into its central date stone, sits completely alone in the shadow of the Blue Water Bridge. Neoclassical Italianate.
817 Pine Grove Avenue. Built in the 1880’s by John Twiss, but primarily lived in by the McLaughlin (McLachlan) family; it was always known as the McLaughlin house. Restored after being purchased by Willard and Susan Arquette in 1977. It is now Noord Lofts, divided into 3 units (the carriage house is a 4th) and maintained by Sanctum Contracting.
South Park, the Factory Lands planned community (first platted in 1901). Please see South Park Historic District Moving Forward.
1426 Griswold Street, Port Huron. Two story Italianate (1840-1885) built and owned by the Petit family–one of the oldest settlers of Port Huron. It is located within Edward Petit’s estate, and his son Marshall lived there by 1885.
FORT GRATIOT TOWNSHIP
PORT HURON TOWNSHIP
Pre-1859 house on Beach Road (for more information, please click on hyperlink for a short article about it).
AIA Detroit Chapter, Guide to Port Huron Architecture (no date). A fold-out brochure.
Burnell, Mary C. and Amy Marcaccio, Blue Water Reflections: A Pictorial History of Port Huron and the St. Clair River District (Virginia Beach: The Donning Co/Pub.s, 1983).
Know of a property that should be recognized? Let us know! Thank you.